This morning my husband said he wanted to eat this dish his mom used to make, thit kho. It’s a caramelized pork and egg dish served with rice. Wanting to flex my cooking skills I Googled some recipes and we went to the supermarket.
While cooking and tasting I made some adjustments. The only thing was, I was kind of going in blind here as I’ve only had this dish once before.
Lots of the recipes online called for Coco Rico or coconut juice or coconut water. We were only able to find coconut juice but confused about pulp or no pulp I decided to try a can of Coke instead. Here’s the recipe, it’s a bit of a mix from a few we found online and made some adjustments along the way.
2 lbs of pork (I used shoulder but pork belly is commonly used)
1 shallot, minced
4 tablespoons sugar
2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon mushroom seasoning
black pepper, to taste
eggs, as desired
1 can of Coke or coconut juice
1. Blanch pork meat for 2 minutes, rinse with cold water
2. Cut pork into strips or cubes as desired (around the same size is easier to cook)
3. In a bowl, mix shallots, fish sauce, mushroom seasoning, black pepper and add in pork pieces (one receipe said to marinade for an hour, and one didn’t, so I didn’t)
4. Caramelized the sugar in a pot on medium, being careful not to burn it
5. Add pork once the caramel has reached a golden brown
6. Coat the pork evenly with the caramel
7. Evenly brown the outside of the pork and pour in Coke or coconut juice over (enough to cover). Let pork stew being careful not to burn (low-medium heat)
8. In a separate pot, hard-boil your eggs (actually, I think next time I’d try to soft boil them so they’re not over-done)
9. Add to the pork mixture once eggs are done and peeled
10. At this point I had to add a bit more Coke, fish sauce and pepper since husband said there should be more sauce
11. Remove from heat when sauce has thickened to desired consistency (some recipes showed the sauce thicker and some more watery) serve with rice
The pork was really tender and flavourful but I’d like more on the eggs next time. I think I might stew the eggs for a while first and add the meat after.
The nice thing about this dish was a lot of the ingredients were already in my kitchen. Enjoy!
Here’s mushroom seasoning in case you don’t know what it is!