A while back we had an office potluck and our VP’s husband made this delicious sticky rice and chicken. Everyone asked for the recipe but seems like I’m the only one who’s tried it. I went on to YouTube to watch some videos on how to debone a chicken whole so I can stuff it. In theory, it all seemed straightforward, but about 30 minutes into it I got a little frustrated and decided I would just slice the chicken open and sew it back up after stuffing.
I thought I would be smart and debone & brine the chicken overnight but it made the meat a little to salty for my liking. In case you want to give it a whirl, here’s the recipe.
1/2 cup of sea salt
8 cups water
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon peppercorn
1-2 pieces star anise
1 raw chicken
4 tablespoons dried shrimp, soaked & coarsely chopped
6-7 shiitake mushrooms, soaked & minced pieces
1 cup sweet rice, soaked 6 hours or overnight
1 package chestnuts, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons ginger powder
2 tablespoons soya sauce
1. Debone chicken. Place into brine mixture for approx. 4 hours
2. Remove chicken from brine and dry with paper towels
3. Rub soya sauce and then ginger powder on to inside and outside of chicken
4. Mix shrimp into rice and steam for approx. 20 mins (or as bag directs) –
I used a rice cooker. Preheat oven 375F
5. Mix mushrooms and chestnuts into rice mixture and finish with splash of sesame oil. Let cool 15 mins.
6. Stuff rice into chicken. Use butcher string to close up cavity
(or sew up in my case)
7. Place on roasting rack, baking pan or glass pan – breast down for 45- 50 mins
8. Remove from heat, reduce to 325F, turn chicken over and bake for approx 10-15 mins
**use meat thermometer to ensure thorough cooking**
9. When finished, remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before cutting chicken in half and serving in pieces
Don’t forget, you can save the bones to make stock! Freeze them until you’re ready to use.